LEAD: A hands-on program equipping future leaders to LEAD the church.
Program duration: January 2020 - December 2020
Location: Centerpoint Church Colton
LEAD is exactly what it sounds like: it is a one year program with the goal of equipping people to LEAD at Centerpoint Church and it's multi-sites, both now, and in the future. Centerpoint’s mission has always been, “equipping people to make Christ the center and the point of their world,” and we want to do that by reaching the 1.2 million unchurched people within a ten-mile radius of Colton. This cannot be done unless we are constantly focusing on training and equipping new leaders.
Who are we looking for?
- People who feel called to leadership
- Those looking to take a massive BECOME leap
- Those able to make the time commitment required to give 100% to the program
How does LEAD work?
This program is a hybrid (unpaid) internship that will give you real, practical ministry experience. There will be some classroom time where you will be learning from seasoned Centerpoint leaders, but most of your time will be spent doing and learning hands-on ministry. Some of the ministries you could be involved in are: children, youth, adult, music, tech, administration, and more.
- 10% classroom. You will learn in 3 different key areas. Theology: obtaining a strong understanding of the Old Testament, New Testament, and Systematic Theology. Spiritual Formation: Going through prayer exercises, journaling and devotional time. LEAD Class: Practical studies, reading on leadership and the DNA of Centerpoint.
- 20% encouraging. This is where the one-on-one comes into play. You will be paired with a mentor and coach to meet with you on a regular basis to see how things are going in both your spiritual walk and the ministry you are serving in. You will also be journaling daily through your experience in LEAD.
- 70% doing. The majority of your learning is meant to be done through doing. You will be placed in a ministry under a supervisor that will be giving you projects to work on. You will be given large tasks to work on and the training and freedom to get things done. You will learn how to communicate and work in a church setting.
What does LEAD focus on?
- Skills (being competent)
- Character (being a mature Christian)
- Relatability (being relational and friendly)
Who runs LEAD?
LEAD is run by Executive Pastor of Multisite Churches Mitch Melzer. However, you will be assigned to a ministry and will report to those in charge of that ministry alongside other key leaders at Centerpoint.
How much time will LEAD require each week?
10-20 hours a week. That includes both on-campus time for meetings and ministry updates and independent time for studying, journaling and working on projects.
We want to be flexible so more people are able to participate in LEAD. If you have a full-time job and cannot come in as much during the week, the majority of your time will be spent on the weekend. If you are able to commit more time to LEAD you may split your time between weekends and weekdays. NOTE: certain ministry tracks may have required times for you to be available. (Ex: Your ministry meets on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. You would need to be available for those times.)
There will be mandatory classes on Sundays twice a month and one mandatory retreat. To see a full calendar of meeting times CLICK HERE
If you have any time restrictions like vacations that you know about going into the program, please let someone know during your interview. Other than what is previously discussed, you are required to be at all Sunday meetings and the retreat (unless an emergency arises). Three or more absences could result in dismissal from the program (please discuss any attendance problems with Pastor Mitch).
One retreat is also required in LEAD (see calendar for dates).
How much does LEAD cost?
We want to keep LEAD affordable, however, there are some costs that will come into play for each applicant:
$25 - retreat and trips
$50 - books and supplies
You will also need your own vehicle, computer, and mobile phone.
Will I get hired at Centerpoint after LEAD?
This program is designed to recognize potential leaders for Centerpoint, however, we do not guarantee that you will be hired. It is possible that you may be hired during the program, after the program, or not at all. It is our hope that even if you do not get hired, you will be able to take the leadership skills that you have learned during LEAD and use them wherever you may go. Leadership is a great tool to have no matter what you do.
What are the expectations and requirements for a LEAD candidate?
All candidates should enter the program with a readiness to learn and work hard. At Centerpoint, everybody is asked to wear multiple hats, so expect to be doing lots of things. To be considered for LEAD a candidate must….
- Be a baptized believer in Jesus
Acknowledge the Centerpoint statement of faith HERE (After you've read our Doctrinal Statement, you will be directed back here to apply below)
- Complete the application and interview process (applications open 10/13 - 11/3)
- Demonstrate the ability to complete the 12-month program
- Sign a commitment and conduct covenant
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have a basic understanding of computers
Thank you for your interest in LEAD. If, after reading this, you are still interested in applying please click the button below and you will be directed to the application. However, if this is not something you can commit to right now, there is always next year.